“Dealing with Seasonal Change”
Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 8:30 & 10:00 a.m.
Scripture Reading: Matthew 1:18-20 and 13:3-9
THE PASTOR’S CORNER
Following this past Sunday’s message, Let’s Give Thanks to Jesus, our friend from the CS Lewis Foundation, Dr. Stan Mattson, directed me to research on gratitude sponsored by the Templeton Foundation. The compelling evidence from research meeting stringent scientific standards confirms the spiritual reality that many of us have personally experienced: Gratitude enhances life satisfaction. We can claim with evidence-based confidence that Thanksgiving produces greater potential for happiness.
One of the ways we in our church offer thanks is through giving. Each year our members and friends are invited to give an expression of their gratitude to God through the Annual Thanksgiving Offering. This special offering will be collected in addition to our pledged gifts this coming Sunday, as we gather for Communion.
Our leadership team offers gratitude to God for you who give so faithful and generously during this season of thanksgiving and throughout the year. A special expression of thanks to all those who have offered a pledge to the Lord’s work in our church for 2016. We presently have 19 new pledgers to the ministry of First Congregational Church and the pledges are still coming in. THANK YOU! It is through your commitment to generous support that we will be able to meet the vision for ministry that God is giving us.
Finally, Cindy and I wish to offer our gratitude to all of you who have shared with us your warmth and an enthusiastic embrace of our ministry. We are honored to serve you and delighted to call Redlands our home.
Find your home at First Congregational Church
- An environment of warmth and welcome
- Sermons that extol the Bible while challenging us to live within its guide posts
- Traditional form of worship with wonderful music
- Family oriented programs for all ages: Sunday School, Bible studies, retreats, and group dinners
- Friendly gathering on our patio after services for getting to know each other
Sunday Meeting Times
Worship Services: 8:30 a.m. & 10:00 a.m. Sundays
- Nursery care provided during Worship Services. 8:45 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. (located in the classrooms on the north side of the patio).
- Adult Bible Studies 8:45 a.m. in the Church Lounge with Michael DiMuro.
- Sunday School during the 10:00 a.m. Worship Service for children grades K through Jr. High. (Children Worship with us in the Sanctuary, then leave for their classrooms.)
- Jr. & Sr. High Youth Groups meet Sunday evenings at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday Kirk Night dinner and discussion
- Contemporary Worship Services on the first Sunday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in Kimberly Hall
- Annual “Girlfriends’ Getaway” women’s retreat.
You may know our church, the First Congregational Church of Redlands, by our bells that ring hourly over downtown or by the historic stained-glass windows we illuminate each night. Or you may recognize us by the crèche we hoist onto our roof each Christmas. But come inside the oldest church in Redlands and experience the wisdom of our sermons and the warmth of our handshakes.
We are a self-governing and Bible-based church which has met the spiritual needs of area Christians for generations. We arrived in Redlands in 1888 and laid the cornerstone to our brick church in 1900.
We are located on the northwest corner of Olive Avenue and Cajon Street, known locally as “God’s corner.” (Parking is in our lots to the north of the church.)
We are as independent now as we were in 1620, when our spiritual ancestors sailed the Mayflower. We hold the Bible as dear now as Pilgrims did then when they bravely brought God’s book to the New World. And the Mayflower is never far from our thoughts – the weather vane on our roof is a reminder of our religious heritage for all those who look up.
If you enter, you will find an array of services and programs for young and old alike.
- Our Sunday Worship Services focus on traditional Worship. Our recently renovated organ accompanies our choir. We also offer a monthly Contemporary Worship Service.
- Our sermons extol the Bible while challenging the audience to live within its guide posts.
- Our strength is faith and fellowship. After service, we congregate on a patio shaded by trees and surrounded with roses. Coffee and tea are served as the children’s choir begins to practice. A statue of Jesus cradling a child oversees the courtyard.
- Our music ministry includes bells, chimes and singing for adults and children.
- Our spiritual ministry includes Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and adult Bible studies as well as Bible discussions and meetings throughout the week.
Thank you for visiting our home page. Please explore the rest of our website. Then, if you so choose, we would love to have you visit and experience our church from the inside. God bless!